View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: grappling torso w/ foot to dislodge impaling weapon from skull (Technical Goblini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
What are the ST rules for dislodging things though? Kinda glossed over here...
It would be an application of the rules for Picks (and other sw/imp weapons), from B405. Thr/imp weapons like daggers normally don't get stuck, although they can if they are Barbed (LTC2:14; this isn't given as an option for daggers, however, but rather spears and the like). A campaign based on Goblin Slayer may well use some gritty houserules that result in non-barbed thr/imp weapons getting stuck (particularly on strikes to the Skull and Vitals), dulling or becoming unwieldy due to becoming caked with blood and fat as they are used, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Another interesting thing demonstrated in the film is Priestess uses a reach 1 staff in a in a wide arcing motions to keep monsters at bay.
Something like this isn't really represented well in GURPS, but is a common trope of a character swinging a weapon wildly about and preventing foes from getting too close. I'd say an attack like this would be easy to avoid - particularly with a Retreat - and while it can attack all three Front hexes, this is only if it doesn't connect or get Blocked/Parried, at which point the attack would end. It also makes it a bit more difficult for enemies to close in and get an attack off, which might be able to justify a bonus to Parry. Roughly, using the technique design system from Martial Arts, I could see it built something like the following:

Grants +1 to enemy defense: +2
Special Drawback, Retreating Dodges get a further +1 to defense: +1
Grants +1 to Parry, but only from the Front Hexes: -1
Special Benefit, attacks a second hex if the first is a miss or is Dodged*: -1
Special Benefit, attacks a third hex if the first two are misses and/or Dodged* : -1

Which altogether makes it a +0 combat option. It would probably typically be combined with Defensive Attack, for reduced damage but a further +1 to Parry. It strongly encourages foes to use Retreating Dodge, which helps to keep them at bay.

*I could see a higher penalty called for, here. There are some similarities to Cleaving Strike (DF11:10), which uses Rapid Strike as part of its base. However, this is something typically done by characters with low (or no) combat skill in fiction, so something with steep prerequisites and a high to-hit penalty would be, I feel, rather uncalled for. I could see -2 per Special Benefit (for a net -2) or maybe -3 each (for a net -4, meaning this would typically be done as a Telegraphic Attack), but certainly no higher.