View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #41
Icelander

Default Re: Medieval Horse Types and Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Many of your CFs look quite low. I can easily imagine a player making a Very Wealthy character and then buying a totally pimped horse, as part of his starting equipment.
These people would be known as 'knights'.

The intent is that no self-respecting member of the warrior elite would ride horses at the prices given in the Basic Set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Also, it might help if you include some rarity guidelines, like "any horse with a CF total of more than 3 is Rare, thus difficult to find although usually available in cities, any horse with a CF total of more than 10 is Very Rare, and any horse with a CF total of more than 15 is Extremely Rare", except of course more elaborate, and talking about horse trainers, and different levels of horse-focus in different cultures (Rohan versus Gondor, e.g.).
Perhaps it would, but I'm not sure that I could write such a thing. I use these rules in a vaguely Medievalish setting, not actual medieval Europe, and any such guidelines would of necessity be world-specific.

In addition, horses with high CFs were historically not all that uncommon. After all, horses didn't qualify as actual warhorses unless they cost about $25,000 and they often ran far higher.