View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #70
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Create Food and it's effect on infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Regarding magic's effect on world development, I look at it this way:
1. The pseudo-medieval (or Bronze Age, etc) is the end result desired for storytelling or atmosphere purposes
2. Magic which would disrupt this if it were common, is therefore not common
100% the story and desired world comes first, not the "rules as physics engine".
Done.
When I want to be simpler about things, I definitely do this, but it doesn't work when I do want something to be categorically different without significantly changing the feel of the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, just set roughly when in the eating+digesting process the food stops being "magically conjured food" and starts being "part of the consumer." In theory, if you do this early enough, there's the possibility of some culture doing things more bird/wolf-style - gorge on magically conjured food, wait until it passes the threshold, vomit it up, and repeat until you've got enough partially-digested food slurry to feed a lot of people.
I'd probably have the magic food become "part of the consumer" more literally for it to make sense at all, which means this kind of thing wouldn't necessarily work.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote