View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #20
zot

Default Re: Sword and Planet Sandbox Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
Ok. My mind is blown - I read these when I was in 6th grade and did NOT make the connection between Stormbringer and addiction. Now that I have lived a long time and seen people fall to those things it makes total sense. But I did not see it until you said it - MB b/c I never reread the Elric books!
Yeah, I had a very sheltered childhood and wasn't exposed to addiction until I met some recovering addicts when I was about 30. Also, we met addicts who were avoiding recovery and saw what it/they did to their loved ones.

I've reread many Moorcock books since that time but didn't actually make the connection until 5-10 years after meeting said people.

Apparently addiction figures into a lot of Stephen King's stories. The "superfan" in Misery is apparently a metaphor for cocaine -- makes you feel really good about yourself for a short while but after that...

Also, there's an indie RPG called Annalise that's about the people affected by a vampire and in the back it has ways you can reskin the game. Mad scientist, werewolf, etc. One of them reskins the vampire as an alcoholic parent. Reskinning vampires as alcoholic parents got me wondering how many old monster stories are metaphorical like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
However, back to Sword and Planet: Moorcock actually wrote The City of the Beast and a sequel I cannot remember. It was a homage to Burroughs. And better than Moorcock was Leigh Brackett; her Ginger Star series was a direct inspiration for my piece (and a reminder to new thread members it is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa4bizlc0i...Draft.pdf?dl=0).

In a way, Cidri seemed like a Dyson Sphere, or MB a Dyson Swarm. Which is a little Sword and Planet...
I actually was thinking of the Kane of Old Mars books when I started my first reply but so much of his stuff is so pulpy and kind of fits with sword and planet anyway :)

FYI: Kane of Old Mars

Last edited by zot; 04-19-2021 at 01:29 PM.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote