View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Pbuckley

Default Re: Magical Traditions via the Ritual Magic system (Not RPM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Per Thaumatology, Limited Colleges is a limitation on Magery worth -30% if it only benefits two colleges, -20% for three, -10% for four (more than four and a mage is considered able to do so much that it doesn't amount to a limitation)- these should work just fine for Ritual Magic if the "core skill" is boosted for the purpose of limits and defaults on those colleges but not for others. If each "tradition" is required to take such a limitation on their Magery, this would be an easy way to differentiate different sorts of mages. Note that the usual method is to take these limitations on higher levels of Magery but have Magery 0 without limitations, so that all casters can attempt most spells but are significantly better with spells in their "sphere of influence" and are barred from even attempting spells from other colleges where they have a higher Magery prerequisite. You can decide if you wish things to play like this, or if you wish Magery 0 to be similarly limited so that mages are blocked from even attempting spells outside their focus- Thaumatology p.21 has some discussions of corner cases for limited Magery 0.
Hmm... I could cut some of these traditions down to four collages...

Animism could be just: Animal, Body, Healing, & Plant. Cutting out any of the weather magic I wanted them to have access to.

Elementalism would be just: Air, Earth, Fire, Water. Cutting out the "Aether" (Meta-Magic) school, as well as any derived schools (metal, sound, weather) I was allowing, though I suppose I could make Elementalists specialize further to unlock more niche colleges... So Earth Would grant Earth, Metal, & Protection for instance.

Glamour could be: Communication/Empathy, Illusion/Creation, Knowledge, & Making/Breaking. Cutting out the Movement and Knowledge Collages (Probably still let them have Mage Eye/Ear/ect. As Illusion/Creation Spells though.

Mysticism would definitely have to be split between;

Mysticism: Healing, Knowledge, Meta, & Protection/Warning. (Though even then I have to give up on Communication and Light & Darkness the both of hurt a lot mechanically)

&

Necromancy: Communication/Empathy, Knowledge, Meta, Necromancy. Again no light & darkness, but this one doesn't hurt as much thematically or mechanically, aside from loosing some of those sweet Protection Spells.

This certainly protects niches a lot more, but does hurt a few of these both thematically & mechanically.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote