View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #41
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Does anyone know enough about low-tech astronomy and navigation tools to suggest which ones would still be useful on Middle-earth, when it was flat?
My impression is that stars in Middle-Earth behaved very much like those in the skies of Earth. What is not clear is if they were close in comparison to the size of Middle-Earth, in which case you could tell something about your north-south position from their height in the sky, or distant, when you could not.

The only information on that I can think of is the tale of Eärendil, which suggests that they were close, and that's consistent with the reasonably ready navigation across the oceans of Middle-Earth by the Teleri and the Númenorians.

Quote:
Out of the ones in Low Tech, it looks like maybe the mekhet (TL1) and windrose (TL2) (measuring directions of fixed stars), and sunstone (TL3+1) (measuring direction of the sun) would still work.
With close stars the windrose is not useful, because no stars are fixed. The other two work, I think.
Quote:
It isn't clear to me whether dead reckoning is possible on a flat world, or whether it makes ocean crossings feasible.
Dead reckoning is certainly possible on a flat world, and you can certainly try to cross an ocean with any navigational method, it's just a question of how far you arrive from your target on the far side.
Quote:
The Polynesian methods aren't explained other than the stick chart, and LT doesn't say whether that relies on types of currents that only exist in the Pacific.
No, it does not.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote