View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #27
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
I think I would feel uncomfortable telling a dwarf pc that he's not allowed to be friends with an elf pc or that he's required to react in a negative way toward elves (for an example.)
You don't have to. Not directly, anyway. Many disads are essentially a contract with the GM. They say "I will act in such-and-such a way which will be inconvenient for my character, and in return I get some points." When and how they surface is, to some extent, up to the player. However, as GM, you can enforce the contract by handing out extra points in the course of play.

In practice, it works something like this: Say a character has intolerance against elves. In the course of play, he runs into some and has an entirely friendly interaction with them. After the game, when you're handing out points to reward the players for good roleplaying, you give him fewer points, noting that he didn't play his disadvantages. He can play his character as he wants to without direct interference from you, but because he's not playing according to what he set out on his character sheet, he's eventually docked for doing so. Think of it as not getting XP for a character acting contrary to his alignment.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote