View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
trooper6

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

One thing I want to say is that, at its heart, GURPS is really easy. But it can be deadly.

My recommendation? Make a few characters and have them fight each other...just for yourself so you can get a feel for combat. Then if you have players who are up for some gladitorial fights, do some of that. Once you get a feel for it, then help everyone make characters. Make sure you keep a copy of the characters for yourself. Then, when you are planning the adventures, run through some sample combats on your own with your skeletons, or what have you, and the PCs to see if you've balanced it well. This allows everyone to have a sense of deadliness. Once you've done it a few times, you won't have to both with doing that anymore.

Next, don't give the human's extra points, would be my recommendation. Keep everyone equal in the points department. It's just easier that way in a point buy system. If you want to model that humans are more open-minded than other races, just give the other races the hidebound disad in their template.

One big difference that a lot of people coming from D&D get hung up on is the combat time scale. A D&D round is 6 seconds, and people get used to doing a gazillion things in one round. Moving, Attacking, Free Actions, etc. So it is all attacking all the time. GURPS combat turns are one second long. So there is more variety in actions. Maybe one turn you Aim, the next turn you fire. The next turn you quickdraw and arrow and then nock the arrow on the bow. Then maybe you aim again. Then you fire. Then maybe you move. That is a whole bunch of turns.
Maybe one turn you move. The next turn you evaluate. The next turn you attack.
So, very often you may not be attacking every turn. That sometimes frustrates D&D'ers. They have to get used to the new scale.

What you can generally do is attack and defend in the same turn. Most of the combat maneuvers involve changing up the relationship to attacking and defending. For example, default you can attack and defend. Or you can give up all your defense for an All-Out Attack (two attacks, or one attack at more skill, or one attack at more damage). Or you can give up your attacks for an All-Out Defense (Do defenses per attack, or one defense at a bonus). If you look at Martial Arts there are things in the middle. Committed Attack (some bonus to attack at some penalty to defend). Defensive Attack (some penalty to attack for some bonus to defend).
Likewise, you can Move or you can attack. If you do both, you do neither very well, etc.

The system is quite symmetrical and logical.

The things I love about GURPS in relation to D&D:
Hit Locations mean something! (You can cripple limbs and knock people out!)
You can defend. (I hated it when in D&D the baddies would hit my thief for agazillion hp and I'd die and that would be it--in GURPS my thief can dodge and retreat and parry!)
Lots of rules for non-combat things/non-combat skills. (Our GURPS games involve lots of investigating and sneaking and diplomacy and sex appeal and all sorts of other elements, and the game supports that well)
Rules for social standing. (You can make a Knight, or an ugly rich noble, or a handsome low class rogue--and all of those things will mean something in the rules set).

There are lots of things I love, but those are some of them.

Welcome to GURPS!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote