View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Johnny Angel

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldSeal
If you're interested in something like D&D I suggest that you look at Dungeon Fantasy. It's good, it caters for the genre, it contains racial and "occupational" templates, special gear, etc.

There are two different kinds of templates:
  • Racial Template
  • "Occucpational" Template
A racial template is the way the GM envision the race in his campaign. It is non negotiable, if you want a character to be of that race, you have to take the template (and all of it).
"Occupational" template on the other hand, is just a guideline. It's a tool to make the work of character generation easier. Although you, as the GM, may enforce mandatory templates, not every GM will.

In a word, no. There are tables for equipment in the equipment chapter and the explanation for using them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure a lot of my questions seem simple to other GURPs users, but after spending so much time with D&D, it's hard to adjust to something new.

Just to double check that I understand though. Templates are preconstructed ways of spending points which encompass a race or a class. A race template would be similar to what I said in my previous post about elves and dwarves: to be an elf you'd be required to have certain features. Likewise, I might create something akin to D&D's barbarian class with a template which has uncontrollable rage, lower than average reading skills, and proficiency in certain weapons, and more tolerance to pain and damage while raging.

I noticed in a different thread that there is some debate as to how realistic the damage values are for weapons (missile weapons in particular) in the new GURPs fantasy rules. Is there truth to that? If so, is there any way to bring the values more in line with what would be realistic when compared to other weapons? I'm looking to create something similar to D&D, but I want a little more grit and realism if possible. I'm still going to allow players to be heroic and do amazing things, but I'd rather have a game which is grounded more by reality than the new edition of D&D is.

In my head, I'm considering giving character points of about the 150 point range. Dwarves, elves, and other races will come with some templates; humans might start with slightly more points to reflect the D&D idea of humans having bonus feats and similar things which reflect the concept of humans being more resiliant and adaptable. The extra points would have more strict guidelines for what the could be spent on though.

I'll probably enforce the racial templates, but I don't think I'd be as strict with class templates. I'll come with a few to cover the typical fantasy stereotypes, but allow players to build their own if they want to go into more detail. If you've ever played the PC or console Elder Scrolls games, that would probably be similar to how I view character creation; you can choose premade classes or you can build your own.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote