View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
GoldSeal

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
However, since I'm most familiar with D&D, my thought is that creating something similar within the framework of the GURPs system will probably be the best way for me to learn the rules.
If you're interested in something like D&D I suggest that you look at Dungeon Fantasy. It's good, it caters for the genre, it contains racial and "occupational" templates, special gear, etc.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure that I fully understand the concept of templates. It seems as though templates are mostly just a collection of skills and traits which the DM has already bought with character points.
There are two different kinds of templates:
  • Racial Template
  • "Occucpational" Template
A racial template is the way the GM envision the race in his campaign. It is non negotiable, if you want a character to be of that race, you have to take the template (and all of it).
"Occupational" template on the other hand, is just a guideline. It's a tool to make the work of character generation easier. Although you, as the GM, may enforce mandatory templates, not every GM will.

Quote:
I understand that ability scores such as ST are used to calculate damage with attacks, but is the damage always the same regardless of weapon used? Does a punch or a kick deal the same damage as a sword or a hammer?
In a word, no. There are tables for equipment in the equipment chapter and the explanation for using them.
GoldSeal is offline   Reply With Quote