View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #32
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Dragged kicking and screaming from the candy-store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I begin to suspect that few of us have shared your success in converting gamers to the GURPS side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I find that kind of high involvement mandatory in pretty much any system. I sit down with players as a group and discuss concepts; have them do first drafts and submit them to me; review them for correct arithmetic, rules legality, efficient design, absence of traits that make sense for the character's history and background, presence of traits that don't make sense, possibilities of clever designs, and possibilities of cool little additions. Then I send the players detailed critiques and lists of suggestions, and ask them to respond. Often we go back and forth a couple more times.

This avoids characters that are poorly designed, characters that don't fit my world assumptions, and characters that will create problems when played with other characters.

Bill Stoddard
With me it depends on the player. Some players come in having played more than a dozen roleplaying games; with them I do something similar to what you do. With those with little or no roleplaying experience or who get confused by changing gaming systems, I say, "Forget about the gaming system. You don't need to know more than how to roll three six-sided dice. Here's a basic description of the world your character will be in. Now what kind of character do you want to play?" As they tell me what they want, I fill in their character sheet with them.

To add to my original post about how I've got people into GURPS, I left out adapting GURPS to things they want to play. My games at conventions have included GURPS: Paranoia, GURPS: Gilligan's Island, GURPS: Horror High School, GURPS: Monty Python, etc. Some of my friends have run GURPS: Star Trek, GURPS: Beavis & Butthead, GURPS: Sailor Moon.... That's a really good way to attract players who know nothing about GURPS.

Alden Loveshade
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote