View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #6
MrFix

Default Re: Damage Resistance and Tech Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Aside from ETC rifles, UT is actually fairly good about this - most rifles do around 6d damage, and the improvement with TL is primarily in penetration. This is still a problem for armour, of course, but at least it means that the pink mist problems aren't too bad - hitting someone unarmoured isn't any worse than with modern guns, and hitting someone armoured isn't a matter of "No penetration = safe, penetration = dead".

As for the OP's issue, I would be cautious lowering the cost of DR bought with points, and certainly wouldn't do it based on something like TL. What I might do is something like My. Rice's idea, and in a given setting offer cheap DR up to a certain threshold, though I'd probably require it's taken with 'Can't Wear Armour' or something like 'Inactive When Under Armour' so wearing armour means you don't get to use your purchased DR.
ETC is what makes TL9 differ from TL8 in weapons department. TL10's HEMP is what makes it differ from TL9.

Without these upgrades, you're shooting TL8 guns at TL9-10 armor which is just bad times, so you resort to using the aforementioned, shooting people with GLs as shotguns etc.

At TL10, most handheld weapons such as Laser Rifles and Gauss Rifles cannot penetrate TL10 Assault Vest, but invalidate limb armor, so unless your troops are trained for them leg shots, they'll pursue HEMP as main bullet, or transfer them fully to Gauss Railguns and Sniper Rifles.

If you're not using TL10 weapons or TL10 armor, the question of DR shouldn't come up. But if you do, all you have are questions, especially 'How do I ensure there's moderate level of danger, not no danger and super danger his legs just flew away'
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote