View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #19
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Alternate Versions of Inifinite Worlds

9) Mirrorskies

In 1997 Earth discovers a naturally-occurred portal to another world. (Where exactly it would have to be to both have avoided detection for so long and be accessible-enough to make cross-world travel worth it I have no idea.) On that world are other portals to other worlds. There is apparently an entire multiverse linked by said portals, some uninhabited, so inhabited by TL 8 societies (with occasional hidden ones at lower or higher TLs) who treat the portals as just another natural choke-point in international relations.

No existing society knows how to create, destroy, or manipulate the portals. No records exist of one forming, disappearing, or changing location. No other method of inter-world travel is known.

Sort of like #1 in that Earth is the "new kid", but unlike that one everyone's about equal in terms of being able to shoot each other. It's definitely a different experience when you can't just conveyor yourself directly to the world you want to explore.

(This is a setting I created for a game some friends and me played a while back. The portals are an excuse to have the unrealistic trope of disparate ecological/geographic regions next to each other without having to worry so much about "why?". I didn't mention the magic, slightly-divergent tech, or non-humans in the entry here to avoid coloring it for anyone, but the original setting was more Saturday Morning Cartoon kitchen sink.)
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote