View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Index of inequality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Is it practical to include a basic graphic? You can put quite a lot of information in a rather small line graph.
Yes, a graph would be best. One of the more important things is that it allows easily visualising slopes, gaps and bulges. Whether linear or logarithmic is a hard question, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
It might be eventually, though the question does arise: when I'm trying to produce a one-page table of the most essential information about a planet and society, how many square centimetres does the distribution of wealth deserve?
3×3 if the graphs are distinct enough to give the gist of the distribution.

But other important considerations (for me) would be:
  • How this maps to the CoLs of various Status levels in a given state/planet/region? E.g. Transhuman Space has 1½× higher personal wealth, but 3× higher CoLs for all Status levels across the board (except dwelling costs, which are somewhat lower than that).
  • Which percentage of those wealths is Job-related, and which is Independent Income? A planet where 99% of people are toiling 90h/week and 1% live off the peons' work is very different from the one where 99% are living on government subsidies while the 1% are super-workers who are taxed, but are filthy rich anyway because their work is really worth so much to the society (I'm thinking some kind of Supers-enabled leisure society; not necessarily realistic, just an example).