View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #15
Polydamas

Default Re: Multiple Tech Levels in a Campaign

In the OP, the first thing to ask is whether this distinguishes any player character from another. If not, you can probably ignore it: just remember to enforce the familiarity penalties if someone outside their unit ever tries to use one of their firearms. Spending a lot of energy finding the canonical way to write something up which never has an impact in game is not wise (because "you take a special penalty to use this weapon because you have never seen anything like it" is an exception in GURPS).

Generally, High TL in one specific area is a perk; books like HT and Tactical Shooting have rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
This is more of a houserule/acquired wisdom of the GURPS community, I believe. By the rules you absolutely should apply a -2 penalty when a Guns/TL8 (Pistols) character tries to fire a TL6 pistol, and I believe that specific example is even used in the books.
I remember the reverse: the 4e rules explicitly state that TL 6 includes kit from earlier TLs which is still in common use. A blanket is TL 1 but common ever after!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote