View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #502
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
If I haven't said it earlier, I'll say it now, the USA would be seen in a negative light by the 3I. Our virtues are scary to them, our good stuff a threat, and our vices all to easy for an Imperial Aristocratic Society to line up and mock ferociously. If nothing else they can steal all the wittiest attacks the French, Brits, and Germans, have made on us and recycle them.
I've answered that one before. The virtues are not scary to the Imperium, because the well-known "fact" that democracy doesn't work on the interstellar scale insulates the Imperium from any serious consequences of supporting them. And Cleon HAD to pay lip service to these rights because the Sylean Federation had a Bill of Rights and he had to persuade the populations of the Federation worlds that they wouldn't lose them.

And let's not forget that one of the few canonical statements we have about Imperial rights is that nobles are equal under the law.

Mind you, the general knowledge about the US would be only a tiny bit as much as the knowledge about the Sylean Federation, and that wouldn't be very much.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote