View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Create Food and it's effect on infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
My question would be whether "civilization" develops at all without the cultural changes brought on by the need to organize agriculture. I'm picturing hunter-gatherer style societies, only the time that was spent hunting and gathering is now devoted to art or music or whatever.
That might fit well with how dangerous things can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Yes, I'd vote for that too. Naturally, it might also become a dystopia instead of a utopia. In our history, the 10% not dedicated to food production included kings bent on conquest, priests bent on proselytism, and soldiers seeking glory - and the same might happen here, only, based on magic aplenty (because, if magic is shown to work great for producing food out of mana, then in all likelihood magic will be the thing to be researched to achieve anything else, and it will be used to deliver conquest, converts and glory).
I do wonder how well research can work. People aren't the top of the food chain and it's explicitly true that they can't completely protect themselves from nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Of course, with magic might also come effective contraception, which changes the situation.]
Due to the metaphysics of the setting, yes contraception is very easy.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote