View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #17
apoc527

Default Re: Trying to solve the weakness of Low-Tech armor with no modifications on ST damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
So you think men with spears should usually pierce armor?

A ST 10 man with a spear held in both hands does 1d+1 damage, or 1d+3 damage on an AoA Strong. The former usually penetrates regular mail. The latter always does.

Why do you imagine armor to be so useless against spears? If the armor was so bad that most attacks penetrated it, then why didn't the men who wore it choose thicker armor?
1. Because people died to spears.
2. Because you need a way to hurt opponents in a game.
3. Because against most opponents in most situations against most armor, the game works fine, particularly with a (.5) AD for cutting weapons.
4. Because the quality of armor was highly variable and the force imparted from a sharp point will overcome quite a bit (stab a kitchen knife through a tin can).

But most important for me is point 2. I just don't see how the game plays out if armor is 100% realistic. Unless nobody has armor (which would also be realistic in most eras), but if you do that, what's the point?

The video included in this thread is interesting, but doesn't the (.5) AD largely help with that? ST 11 man has Sw 1d+1, even assuming those are greatswords (which they don't appear to be), that's 1d+4 cut. If that is DR 7 plate, then against the sword attack it's DR 14. 1d+4 isn't getting through DR 14.

Problem solved, no?

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote