View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinV View Post
I
Also, has anyone worked out a comparison between the vertical jump test and ST or DX, like, how would you compare someone's stats in the NFL combine to GURPS skills and stats?
Mess around with ST for a while if you want to but do not go into the Gurps Move rules. They do not model athletic data well at all.

For example, let's say we want to do a champion sprinter. That means we want a sub 10 second 100 meters. The first step is to convert 100 meters to 110 yards because Gurps uses yards.

Let's try a Ground move of 10. In his first second of movement the sprinter covers 10 yards. On the second one his sprint bonus kicks in and he's going at 12 yards per second. If he continues thusly he'll do 110 yards in 9.33 seconds.

Google says the current World's Record is Usain Bolt at 9.58 so you've broken his record by 0.15 seconds.

How about 200 meters? Just keep sprinting at 12 yards a second and you'll break 220 yards at 18.50. The World's Record is again Bolt at 19.19.

Yet if you run a 40 yard dash as seen in the NFL combine your Move 10 guy should be able to do it in 3.5 seconds. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of a sub-4 second 40. 4.2 is usually considered wicked fast.

You can keep going at different distances but I've never found one where Gurps Move model matched the Real World at all well.

Oh, and it gets even worse at distance running.