View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #110
coronatiger

Default Session 27 (2019-11-03)

Thoughts on April 5th

The rain today made it tempting to remain below-decks, but I went out to perform anyway. We arrived in Garuk in the evening, and by then the rain had abated to a thin drizzle. We disembarked and headed for the Red Mansion.

I sashayed into the inn and leaned over the counter, my loose jacket displaying plenty as I caught the innkeeper’s eye. I offered to perform in exchange for room and board, but he announced that at the Red Mansion, nobody gets a special treatment; I would have to pay like everyone else. Miffed, I declared that I would find lodgings elsewhere. Ilzo, Va’lyndra and Olivia followed me out.

I prefer to stay at the finest inn available, but as the Red Mansion was currently unavailable, I suggested to the others that we check out the Blue Oyster, the second-best inn in Garuk. The innkeeper there also rejected my proposal, and I was starting to worry. Had I lost my ability to wrap men around my little finger?

The third finest inn here has a most humble name, but the Vagabond is all right, perhaps on par with the best in smaller towns, such as Urdon. I approached the innkeeper and started flirting, insinuating that I could be available for a private performance, so he could see how good of an acrobat I truly am. A discreet kick to the back of my leg reminded me that I’m spoken for, and I shifted the conversation.

As we were talking, a gnome accosted Ilzo with questions about being very small for an ogre. Ilzo explained that he was an orc, not an ogre. The gnome introduced himself as Leopold, and he seemed very talkative and curious. Normally, I wouldn’t have minded his company, but I was busy trying not to seduce the innkeeper, so I tried to shut out the babbling behind me.

I struck a deal with the innkeeper, and left the responsibility of settling into our rooms to the others. I leapt up onto a table and did a contortion act. Olivia, Ilzo and Va’lyndra came to watch when they had stored away the luggage, and Leopold joined them, although he seemed more interested in Ilzo than in me. I can’t fathom why.

After the show, I sat down with the others. At the moment, they were discussing Order and Chaos. Ilzo revealed to Leopold that elves are Chaotic, causing Va’lyndra to grumble. She didn’t like having that piece of information revealed. Considering that I had learned that I was Chaotic, too, I asked if being Chaotic was so special. “Try going to the Church and telling them you’re Chaotic, Mattea,” Va’lyndra suggested. “You’ll get in trouble.” I suppose she’s right.

I changed the subject, and asked Leopold why he was asking so many questions, and about such diverse topics. He explained that he belonged to a guild of historians. I had trouble believing that an entire guild could care about something like that, but the gnome seemed truthful, so I asked him about it. He responded that one needs to understand the past to understand the present. “And don’t you want to be remembered in the future? Then you’ll need historians to write down your exploits.” I asked him if he would like to be my friend, and we laughed.

Va’lyndra, as usual, failed even to smile at the joke. Leopold switched over to Elvish and engaged her in conversation. “If you’re going to continue talking in that tongue, I’m going to bed,” I announced after a while. Va’lyndra switched back to Common. “So, you’re saying you need someone to take you into the caves?” she asked the historian. That caught my attention. We were planning on grabbing a quest or two and going down there ourselves.

Leopold explained that he had joined the adventurers’ guild, but struggled to find a party to join. He had been stuck here in Garuk for several weeks, not daring to enter the mines alone. He had come from the Old World a couple of months ago to study the ancient civilization that lived beneath the mountains.

Ilzo muttered something in Orcish. Va’lyndra’s reply caused him to glare at her angrily. I asked what they were talking about, and he repeated in Common that he wondered if Leopold was able to defend himself. “There isn’t much that one must defend oneself from in the guild library,” the historian responded, “but I think I have some weapons up in my room.” What kind of adventurer is he? Going around unarmed like that. I’m never unarmed. Well, except when I perform, of course. Or when I’m with Olivia. Perhaps I shouldn’t judge.

I asked if he owned armor. And rope, and a tent. And what about a horse? Did he own one? Could he even ride? He turned out to be needing quite a lot of stuff, if he’s going on adventure with us. I looked him up and down. He was wearing a traveler’s outfit, but not much gear. I recalled that many gnomes prefer not to wear any clothes. I find naked people to be quite distracting, although I’ve never been with a gnome before, only humans, high humans, some elves and a cat person. My train of thought picked up speed, and I suddenly got “very tired”, so I wished everyone a good night and asked Olivia to show me to our room.

Thoughts on April 6th

At the guildhall, we discovered that the quest board had been moved into the caves, just like Leopold had mentioned, to be closer to the quest sites. Ilzo had restocked food in Urdon, but needed to buy fodder for the horses. He took care of that while Leopold purchased a pony and whatever else we had told him to acquire.

I leapt into Marvin’s saddle and led the way towards the mines. I did a balancing act, showing off for the person who was going to document my awesomeness for the posterity, but he didn’t seem very interested. What’s wrong with him!?

We passed the check point, displaying everything to the guards, except the bag of herbs, which Va’lyndra had hidden inside a tree outside the caves. Va’lyndra was wearing her new leather armor, and when she pulled out the old chain mail, she offered it to Olivia. Olivia put it on, but it didn’t fit her very well. Va’lyndra is about a whole head taller than her. Also, the mail was very heavy, so after about an hour, Olivia took it off and returned it.

I noticed that there was more traffic in the mines than there had been earlier. Some people had even set up booths along the way where they sold food and drink. Ilzo, Olivia and I bought chicken legs at one of the booths. It was a tad expensive, but not more than expected, on this side of the governor’s toll barrier.

Va’lyndra and Leopold discussed magic while we traveled, and I became concerned that Leopold might be a mage. I didn’t bother the others with my irrational fear. Va’lyndra is a mage, but she’s still a decent enough person. I suppose I shouldn’t be so quick to judge Leopold, but I have some bad experiences with mages, so I couldn’t help stepping lightly around him.

We passed several signs at side passages, that read that only authorized adventurers were allowed beyond. Those would be places that hadn’t been completely cleaned out. All the areas in the outer part of the mines had been examined, and posed no danger as long as people stayed clear. Va’lyndra stopped to translate older signs, from when the dark elves lived here, and learned that this entire region had been a duchy, or what passed for a duchy in those days.

The trip into the mines went faster than before, since we didn’t have a wagon to slow us down. We reached the Mild Mole early in the evening. The mood inside was merry, and Ilzo was curious about the dice game some of the patrons were engaged in, but he wasn’t allowed to join. I performed as payment for staying there.

Thoughts on April 7th

There are two locations in the mines, actually, where our guild has a presence. We set off towards the nearest one, but didn’t reach it. We set up camp in a side passage. Prompted by Va’lyndra, Leopold shaped a small rock into a pillar, thereby proving that he is a mage. Va’lyndra summoned water. I decided to retire for the night; the magic made me uncomfortable. We included Leopold in our watch routine: Be observant, say “Surkalpi” and wake us if anything happens. Olivia and I did our nightly ritual, and went to sleep contented.

Thoughts on April 8th, afternoon

We moved on after a quick breakfast. It felt kind of strange, not having Lady Karita around. She was a slow riser, and always grumpy in the mornings. It saddened me to think she would never yell at me again for disturbing her rest.

It wasn’t long before we reached the guild office. It shared a building with an inn. The office was managed by a dwarf whose face I recognized from the guild in Garuk. We discussed quests with him, and he informed us that he and the other non-human adventurers were leaving in about three weeks, so perhaps we should plan to return before that. They were concerned for their safety, as Tamburin might invade any time, and they were known to kill or enslave anyone who isn’t human. In our party, only Olivia and I would be safe, but living in occupied lands might not be pleasant for us either. I fear we will be leaving the area before the auction in May.

We selected three quests. They were in the most dangerous category, and the dwarf demanded that we should bring someone who could analyze the magic that we’d undoubtedly encounter. I responded that it wouldn’t be a problem.

We found the nearest quest site and made camp outside. Olivia remained with the animals, and the rest of us geared up and entered.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Last edited by coronatiger; 12-01-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote