View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 AM   #108
coronatiger

Default Session 27 (2019-11-03)

Thoughts on March 23rd

Ilzo and Va’lyndra wandered around town, looking for someone who could help them identify Lady Karita’s herbs and powders. The townsfolk were reluctant to give aid to an elf and an orc, representatives of the so-called lower races. Eventually, Va’lyndra convinced a shopkeeper to sell her a book with pictures and descriptions of medicinal herbs, but I’m not so sure Lady Karita’s roots and leaves can be found in it. I think she mostly collected poisons, another reason why people might not want to help them, even if they had the knowledge to do so.

We had dinner together at the inn, and then Ilzo buried his nose in the book. I stuck mine in Olivia’s business, in the privacy of our room. Other body parts may have been involved as well.

Thoughts on March 24th

Va’lyndra wanted to stay in Urdon for a week, so her hydra skins would be finished at the tannery. I didn’t mind that; I had promised people here I would do a show or two. I asked Ilzo if it was fine with him, too, seeing as he might want to ask the knowledge guild in Garuk about the herbs. Va’lyndra shushed me, reminding me that the knowledge guild was kind of secretive, and not a suitable topic for breakfast at the common room. Ilzo agreed to remain in Urdon, and suggested that he might ask at the adventurers’ guild if anyone there knew about herbs. I wasn’t too optimistic about it, but then again, I don’t really care about those herbs anyway, so it hardly matters to me if he gets to identify them. I did offer to come along, though, as I had another query for the guild.

I introduced Ilzo and Va’lyndra at the guildhall, as they were new there. The guild master asked the whereabouts of my companions, and I told him of their demises. Then I asked what I came there for, if there were any auctions planned in the near future. Master Gnomus claimed that the auctions were none of my business, that they were only for those of higher rank in the guild, but I smiled as prettily as I could and fluttered my eyelashes. The guild master yielded that it wouldn’t hurt the guild if I learned when and where the next auction would be, and confided that the auction was set for the twentieth of May, in Garuk. I flinched. The summer games were taking place here in Urdon only three days later, and I really wanted to attend those, too.

Ilzo asked Gnomus about the herbs, and the guild master responded with a sharp question about where he got them. We explained that it was Lady Karita’s pouch, and he told us we should dig a hole in the ground and bury the whole thing. Those were dangerous substances, he asserted, and Lady Karita was probably planning on destroying them. Ilzo and Va’lyndra looked at him like they didn’t subscribe to his assumption, but I thought it sounded reasonable, so I voiced agreement. As far as I recall, Lady Karita has never destroyed any of her belongings, but I trusted that the guild master knew her better than I did.

Changing the subject, Va’lyndra asked for a friend called Firidella, and I remembered the elf from last year. I met her at the summer games, and again later in Garuk. She introduced Va’lyndra to our little adventuring party, when we sought replacement for Magnar Goldenbeard. The guild master regretted that Firidella hadn’t been in Urdon for a couple of months. He believed she had been on her way south.

Ilzo wished to see the smith, and I offered to show him the way, but he knew where the smithy was located. I supposed he had discovered it while he and Va’lyndra walked about town, yesterday. As he didn’t need my help, I excused myself to go see to the shows I’d be setting up while we’re here. Va’lyndra joined him, though. I guess she still didn’t trust him to go alone. Ilzo asked the smith for rings so he could resize the too small mail-and-plate, but Va’lyndra explained that it would be easier if the smith did the work.

When they returned to the inn, I was dancing on the tables.

Thoughts on March 25th

Ilzo decided that he wanted to learn how to read, so he and Va’lyndra stayed at the inn all day. I went outside to the fine spring weather and tumbled on the street, showing off my skills and playing with the children. Some of them tried to copy my moves, and I helped them with handstands and cartwheels.

I treated Olivia to a picnic, and purchased a fine bottle of wine with the tips she had gathered while I performed. As I was performing again in the evening, I didn’t partake much in the wine. Olivia managed to empty the bottle, and she required support when we walked back to the inn. It wasn’t like her to lose control like that, but maybe she felt she deserved a small blowout after all we’ve been through lately. She knew she was safe in my company.

I guided Olivia to our bed, pulled off her shoes and undressed her. Then I tucked her in, and stroked her hair until she fell asleep. I kissed her forehead and went downstairs to perform. She was awake when I returned a couple of hours later, clutching her head, moaning, “So this is what a hangover feels like!” I shed my clothes crossing the room and slid carefully under the blanket and whispered that it would be better in the morning. In her current state, Olivia wouldn’t enjoy a tumble, so as I wrapped myself around her in our usual sleeping position, I braced myself for a night of abstinence. She must have sensed my hunger, for she mercifully gave me a hand, despite her headache. Oh, how I love her!

Thoughts on March 26th

Town criers disturbed our breakfast. They announced the imminent hanging of a bandit on the town square. Va’lyndra and Ilzo went to look. I’ve attended two public executions already, and neither called for an encore. I would have gone had Olivia asked me to, but she had reacted badly to the experience, both at the witch burning and at the hanging, and was even less keen on going than I was. Those times, we had no choice but to watch, but nobody was forcing us to go today, so we stayed at the inn. I repaid Olivia for last night, and she confessed that she was grateful I hadn’t sought company elsewhere while she was incapacitated.

At the town square, a gibbet had been erected, and people gathered around it. A peddler sold rotten fruit to the bystanders. Va’lyndra bought some and explained the concept to Ilzo, who seemed to misunderstand, and asked if the crowd was supposed to kill the bandit with fruit, a particularly dishonorable and embarrassing death, at least in the eyes of one who grew up in a warrior culture.

After the spectacle, Ilzo retrieved his new suit of armor from the smith and showed it off to us back at the inn. He looked mightily impressive. I’m glad he’s on my side.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote