View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #106
coronatiger

Default Session 26 (2019-10-12)

Thoughts on March 16th

Va’lyndra finally slept, last night. We let her sleep a couple of hours extra, but then we needed to move out. Olivia took the time to check on our supplies. We must have miscalculated, because we’re running low on food, even with one less mouth to feed. We had to look for something to shoot while we traveled. Ilzo snagged some small game with his sling, supplementing our travel rations. Va’lyndra dug some roots and whatnot out of the ground. I wrinkled my nose at it, but it was actually passable.

Thoughts on March 17th

We’re proceeding, but slowly. Va’lyndra has a lot of sleep to catch up on, and we need to look for food as we go. Both Ilzo and Va’lyndra found something to eat today as well. Olivia calculated that at this rate, we may be hungry when we reach Urdon, but we’ll be alive.

Thoughts on March 18th

I was on the lookout for anything that moved, but I must admit I wasn’t at all helpful when it came to gathering food. Aside from the rabbit that Ilzo shot, every animal has to be hibernating. Or perhaps we’re just too noisy, five people and ten horses.

Thoughts on March 19th

I shot a rabbit today! Olivia had to point it out for me, but once she did, it wasn’t hard to spot. It was standing on what looked like an ant hill, curiously watching us pass. Ilzo grabbed it and retrieved my arrow. Pleased with myself for contributing, I stood on the saddle and did a little dance when we moved on.

Thoughts on March 20th

It’s still slow going, but at least the weather is on our side. It shouldn’t be long until spring. Warmer days mean lighter clothes and easier access to Olivia’s goodies.

Thoughts on March 21st

I think Va’lyndra has recovered from her illness. She certainly looks much healthier than she did a few days ago. Unfortunately, whatever disturbs her sleep seems to hit her every other week or so. I hope we arrive in Urdon before she becomes sick again. It must be more comfortable to go through it in a warm bed than out here in the wilderness.

Thoughts on March 22nd

Ilzo spotted something in the distance during his watch, pairs of small red dots moving closer. He lobbed a sling stone towards them and raised the alarm when they continued unperturbed. I slid out of Olivia’s embrace, picked up Scorchmark and left the tent, reminding Olivia to string the bow. I didn’t think that she might not be able to; my new bow has a heavier pull than the old one.

I squinted into the darkness, but couldn’t see anything, so I turned on the light. Surkalpi blazed like the sun, and I registered a pack of vicious, horned bunnies racing towards us. They were still pretty far away, so I returned to the tent, strapped on the hip quiver and received my strung bow from Olivia.

The little blighters were faster than I thought, and I just had enough time to let loose one arrow before they attacked Ilzo and Va’lyndra, who stood between me and them. A sudden hailstorm pelted the bunnies, but they kept coming. Ilzo clove the first to approach in two, and the others didn’t do much damage through his bone armor or through Va’lyndra’s mail.

I yanked Scorchmark from the sheath and sliced open one of the bunnies surrounding my friends. The pack moving between and around his feet caused Ilzo to stumble, and Va’lyndra made a reckless whirlwind attack with her staff, plowing through the bunnies and smacking Ilzo over the shin.

Two of the bunnies charged my legs, but I avoided them easily and cut them down in short order. Ilzo regained his balance and between Surkalpi and Va’lyndra’s staff, the remaining bunnies stood no chance.

Neither Va’lyndra nor Ilzo knew very much about these bunnies, but reported that they clearly were predators, after noticing their sharp teeth.

I went over to where our captive lay, just a few meters away, and identified that he was unharmed. He was blindfolded, so he couldn’t see me study him. Va’lyndra must have forgotten the blindfold, for she blurted out that she couldn’t come into town, now that a high-ranking Church-man had seen her cast offensive spells. Well, now he knew… I didn’t say anything.

Now that the rush of battle had subsided, I suddenly felt the cold night air on my bare skin. Shivering, I wished Ilzo and Va’lyndra good night again, and dove into the tent. Olivia yelped when I returned to her embrace. It was nice and warm under the blankets, and I soon fell asleep.

We tried wicked bunny for breakfast, but they tasted like muck, so we decided to leave the carcasses behind when it was time to go. Ilzo had taken the plate-and-mails off the dead halberdiers, and now he tried one on. He managed to squeeze into it, but his movements were thoroughly hampered while he wore it. He mumbled to himself about how to fix it. Amused with his struggles to escape the suit, I planned to suggest he visit an armor smith when we reach Urdon.

We arrived at the coast in the evening. Since none of us could remember crossing the Grand River, we still had to be south of Urdon. Va’lyndra had aimed pretty well, for we only had to go north for a few minutes before we could see the lights from the town. We set up camp.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote