View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #19
The Colonel

Default Re: Grain-based local currencies in medieval fantasy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Eh, the problem for PCs isn't that it's grain-backed, the problem for PCs is that it's currency that's really only valid in a small region, so typical mobile PCs will need to either spend it before they leave or convert it into something more transportable (jewelry is a popular option for the latter).
That and its time limited - if you don't spend it today, you can't come back next year and spend it then on your next trip through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Many settings I've played in go to some effort to avoid the need for players to deal with national currencies. They often have one economically dominant state, and other states that mint to the same standards. Variations I've encountered include:

An empire where copper is unholy. They require you to turn in copper coinage at the border and exchange it for their non-rusting iron. They won't change it back when you leave, but they're happy for you to take their iron coins away, so they circulate in neighbouring countries at parity with copper.
I'm also not sure if it's a system thing or a cultural one - there's an old quote that says that in D&D five barrels of tallow is set dressing, whilst in Harnmaster it's the treasure...

Last edited by The Colonel; 04-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote