View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 04:32 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Grain-based local currencies in medieval fantasy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Also, does anyone else find that there's a feeling of push-back against even as much realism as national currencies in the RPG scene at the moment? Like languages and encumbrance, I get the feeling that immersive currency is being downrated as "not fun"...
Many settings I've played in go to some effort to avoid the need for players to deal with national currencies. They often have one economically dominant state, and other states that mint to the same standards. Variations I've encountered include:

An empire where copper is unholy. They require you to turn in copper coinage at the border and exchange it for their non-rusting iron. They won't change it back when you leave, but they're happy for you to take their iron coins away, so they circulate in neighbouring countries at parity with copper.

A world where the Church of Mammon effectively controls currency standards. They're in favour of free trade, so all the countries use compatible standards.

Yes, all of these worlds ignore the idea of adulteration of the currency. That's a small thing compared with active gods, magic, and monsters that defy the laws of physics, biology and frequently chemistry.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote