View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #96
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Action 5: Dictionary of Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

Point of order, if it's sold at room temperature it's a fat, if it's liquid it's an oil, unless it's been through interesterification or winterization (To raise or lower the melting point)[the reason for these exception is that canola fat doesn't make a lot of sense].

Now as I can see no advantage to having the frying oil sold at room temperature (handling it is clearly harder) what you where sprayed with was fat, unless some really freaky stuff was going on in that frier during operation.
In real life, when you pour oil into the fryer, it is in fact oil, and a liquid; it comes in big metal drums with a pour spout, and says "oil" right on the tin. The catch is that once it's used all night and full of adulterants, it breaks down and turns into a solid mass at room temperature. The next morning, to make sure you get it all out of all the little niches for health reasons, you have to heat it up enough to (1) liquefy it and (2) kill anything that might be growing in those little niches. It was the law where I lived.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote