View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Magery as an improvable advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
How do you justify the "Growth" in character, of an inborn trait, that is leveled?

Practice.

I don't see talents in general as static things that a infant is born with and will never improve throughout their life. I see them as part of a continuum between skills and attributes, representing aptitude at a type of study. Sure, natural aptitude talent exists, but its not the only trait that appears in the world that talent can represent, and natural talent looks best when it is improved upon.

Now, Magery is NOT a typical talent, though pyramid 4/1 weakens that somewhat, explicitly breaking down everything but the zeroth level as a power talent. However, the alternative, that it represents power rather than skill, rings hollow. Its effects on spells are identical to a level of IQ, with the exception of some prerequisites, and its been stated that spells are mostly balanced by FP costs, not prereq chains. Power instead would correspond to Energy Reserves or more exotic ways of gaining mana.

As a final comparison, raising power talents is fairly normal, and powers talks about doing it in various places. I know I've seen people talk about spending just a few points in a power at character creation in order to "leave the door open" to build up that power later.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote