View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 AM   #15
Icelander

Default Re: Rosemary's Convent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
There's a two-sided problem here.

Fellow religious are more likely to be reliable people, but recruiting them has the downside that if they say "no" and go to the authorities (conventual authorities, but still) they are likely to be believed that this lady's gone crazy and is up to something bad.

People from the underworld won't be believed, but they're also unlikely to be reliable.

If there's time for the recruitment to be a gradual process, then slowly corrupting reliable people (such that by the time they have something damaging to say they're already complicit in it) is probably the better bet.
There are sixteen years between Sister Marķa Teresa's fall into darkness and the time in play when she is encountered along with her most trusted followers, so I imagine that any recruitment was extremely gradual.

I'm imagining that at least one follower was the abandoned child of a drug-addicted prostitute (born addicted and HIV positive), who was one of the charges that the nuns ministered to in the Candelaria district. Sister Marķa Teresa wouldn't technically have raised him (he was raised in an orphanage), but she would have visited him regularly from the time he was very young.*

*Initially, not as a conscious strategy or anything, but because she did (and does) continue her charitable ministering work. Also, I imagine that this child would have been born around 1995 or so, so Sister Luz Amparo Granada (her friend, murdered at the end of 1999) would have been the one to first bond with the child and they'd have visited him together.