View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
RedMattis

Default Re: Modular Ability to represent equippable powers

@Anaraxes
You're right, I forgot about that detail. AAs will likely end up significantly cheaper (especially if you go full Munchkin on it and count everything as an AA!), but trying to wrangle in something with Modular Abilities has the advantage of letting players buy, use and trade Materia without worrying about anything but the total point value of equipped Materia.

You could probably slap on some limitation around the fact that Materia are clearly something which can be stolen, and that they can be fairly tricky to replace. Also, most of the physical advantages don't change you much; you don't sprout wings and fly, turn into a wolf, or get hyperspectral vision. Perhaps that alone is worth slapping -20% or more in limitation.

Btw., I feel like the "Physical Only +50%" enhancement should have been +0%. Having access to all mental advantages and skills is WAY better than some random physical stuff.

Either way, I'd be tempted to just lazily house-rule it and f.ex. let them buy "Materia Slots" for 50 points a piece. Each slot can maximally contain a Materia with 25 points of "power", stronger Materia uses multiple slots. Slots can be limited to one subset powers, in which case they only cost 40 points. This compares more favorably to an "Alternate Abillities"-build, and encourages your players to pick at least a slot or two (if you want this!)

As a GM I'll have control what Materia are available, so the advantage should be easy to keep under control.