View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #255
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Sure, but at the same time, barrel weight is not just about keeping the gun from exploding.
True enough, but a barrel strong enough to contain the explosion of the propellant is a fair benchmark for the minimum level of engineering sophistication and weight of material needed to make a firearm of a given power.

Quote:
Which is why I said, if you don't trust the stats in the book, go research real guns then create your own stats using Doug's damage formula and 19th and 20th century firearms as your benchmarks. I think that Bill Stoddard would have liked to include footnotes in Low Tech (so that he or someone else could go over them again in later years). But the market does not support that. You should have your copy of the playtest mailing list, and I think that SJG maintains a password-protected archive somewhere.
I've been trying to work out if Doug's damage formula works for smoothbore cannon firing roundshot or if there's some factor that's not accounted for that overrates damage for them.

The spreadsheet gives the 12-pounder Napoleon 6dx7 pi++ instead of the 6dx5 pi++ that it is statted with in GURPS High-Tech. Before using the spreadsheet for cannon damage, then, I need to work out how to get the model to be consistent with that (presumably realistic) canon Dmg for cannon.

Quote:
Game authors do their best, but they are limited by house style, by a market which does not reward authors who show how they know what they know, and by being individuals not a whole research team. You were part of the playtest, so you had a chance to ask questions then ... and we are lucky that many people who have spent a lot of time and money researching are willing to write GURPS books for a tiny reward.
To my regret, I was not able to address all the areas of Low-Tech that needed addressing during the playtest. It seems that GURPS Vehicles 3e was used to stat ships and artillery, both mechanical and black powder. I knew that the results diverged fairly severely from reality with ships and I pointed this out at some length, but as I was not currently using artillery much for my campaign during the playtest, I did not go over the artillery stats well enough.