View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How? It puts troops in bulky armor, yes, but they're nothing like the Mobile Infantry. (Very little in any game I can think of is, really, between the armament and the extreme mobility.) They're not much like the 40k Space Marines either in terms of lore, but in terms of being ridiculously bulky armor-dudes with huge rifles they're right on.

Also, while zerg could be taken as the SST 'bugs' (though more the cinematic misrepresentation than the original thing) instead of 40k Tyrannids, the Protoss have no such referent but are dead ringers for the Eldar.

(Of course, the thing about all these GW/Blizzard 'ripoffs' is that they replicate aesthetics and then pair them with totally different lore. Terran marines are expendable brainwashed convicts, not immortal engineered superhumans. The protoss homeworld is just fine. The Zerg aren't from outside the galaxy. Chaos isn't around at all. And back in Warcraft, the orcs are extradimensional invaders!)
At some point, it stops being ripping off and becomes exploring, expanding, or subverting. Truly new and simple ideas that work are rare and precious, but when combined with each other they can appear new and fresh, and indeed tell very different stories.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote