View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Skarg

Default Re: XP for Unbalanced Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
I think math would have to be done to determine at which point you want a "normal" 32-point character to be able to surpass the unbalanced races - and it probably should vary by race.
Yes, and I think this is an area where the TFT-player tendency to avoid math and complexity like the plague, leads to many problematic ad hoc house rule suggestions.

I think that (except in the few cases where there really does happen to be a convenient and appropriate one-liner fix someone happens to think of) it tends to produce more solid solutions if a GM/house-ruler/designer does the opposite: think of what the best results you would want a rule to produce, and try to represent that with whatever complexity it takes. Consider the implications of those effects. Only when satisfied that you know what an accurate description of the goal is, try to reduce it to something cleverly simple and easy to use.

I think it's important to consider what you want the equivalent of a 38-42 point human to look like in a non-human race, and whether they have (or ought to have) any maximum attribute values.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote