View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
malchidael

Default Re: XP for Unbalanced Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
There have been a few previous threads discussing different approaches to making XP progression adjustments for races that start with an attribute total exceeding that of the baseline 32-point character. Several ideas focused on making advancement less onerous for those characters, but I can't help thinking that only extends their advantage over the baseline. That said, I also believe that the original rules where XP costs were doubled for strong races like gargoyles and reptile men felt a bit punitive.

So here's my proposal, which BTW assumes that like me, you also wish to restore some imbalance to the point totals of various races for starting characters (if you prefer 32-point reptile men, best to move on to another thread)...

For every point above 32, XP costs for the next stat point will cost 10% more than dictated by the progression schedule. For example, if I want my starting reptile man to have ST 14, DX 8, IQ 8 plus 6 points to spread around (a 36-point character) it will cost me 40% more XP to increase my stats going forward (i.e. 840 XP for my 37th point, 1400 for my 38th, etc.).

If folks think 10% per point is too generous, that can certainly be adjusted but the basic approach seems sound based on no playtesting whatsoever. ;)
If I were to use the traditional starting stats for the more powerful races, I would probably go with an increased cost for the fixed-cost talents/spells instead of additional stat points; slowing down the talent/spell progression for more powerful races seems reasonable to me. This gives the more powerful races a jumpstart at the beginning, but over the long haul, they will have less capability than 32-point races. Especially given that most of the higher starting point races have caps on IQ, so they can't start with all talents/spells from the start.

Likewise, no playtesting; just midnight random thoughts as I wait for my users to sign off for the day (so I can get some sleep).
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote