View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
Max Schreck

Default Re: Mars, maglevs speeds, and gauss guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
While the treatment of Mars maybe suffers from creeping progress in terraforming and other areas from book to book (and to be honest, I certainly find the working wild ecology mentioned in In the Well a step too far), I didn't think that the Mars of ItW was any less Chinese than that of the core book. Matter of how you read things, I guess. Creeping complexification is a curse of game line books, as every author wants to add on More Kewl Plot Hooks. (Mind you, it happens in TV series and stuff too.)
Sure, and I'm not complaining. I just felt there were some differences, and the terraforming was one of them, which you noticed as well. As for the Chinese influence, it may very well just be my idiosyncracies acting up. Maybe I had imagined Mars as all-Chinese, which is perhaps not terribly realistic.

Quote:
I hadn't looked at the weapons much, but my assumption was that the things detailed in ItW were specifically vehicle gear, and hence could tap vehicular power supplies. If you assume that the big constraint on electromagnetic and energy weapons in TS is a fairly realistic/conservative treatment of batteries, then having them be a bit scary-powerful actually makes sense.
Oh, they are specifically for vehicles, but so is the 15mm e-mag cannon, so on that level they are comparable. But perhaps it is as Anthony suggests because the e-mag weapons in the core book were considered a bit underpowered. I have no problem with the e-mag weapons in In the Well from a gaming perspective. They just seemed more advanced than the core weapon technology.

Quote:
And to be truthful, if you want inconsistency between TS books, look at the different treatments of memetics - a dubious pop culture fad in Fifth Wave, a real weapon in other places. Even if we've mostly stopped it from turning into magic frikkin' mind control...
And for that I am eternally grateful. I prefer my memetics to be an effective propaganda tool, but not mass reprogramming of organic brains with a snap of the fingers.

Cheers,

Max