View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #27
JMason

Default Re: Casting time of missile spell scrolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Hey, you're right, technically. The initial charge is not defined as an enlargement. I even checked GURPS Magic where I thought I learned it that way, my mistake.

So I think I have a very clean solution to re-word missile casting with no real change in effect.

<snip>
I do think this has several effects on casting spells. First, (at least in my games) spells are not obvious what they are till the cast is done casting. Players (and NPCs) wouldn't know what the spell is till the wizard is done, which would very much change the tactics they'd employed. It also removes the risk of "dropping" a missile spell if hit. Now wizards will only have one turn of "venerability" in most cases before they can throw the spell and be done.

I don't see any problem with:
  • Turn 1: cast spell at whatever level is wanted for the first turn, reduce casting cost per skill level.
  • Turn 2: throw, hold, or enlarge with no reduction for skill
  • Turn 3: throw, hold, or enlarge with no reduction for skill
  • Turn 4+: throw or hold

This is how the rules under missile spells read to me and is how I've always played. If anything, I'd change the "Time to cast" entry to 1 second for missile spells to clearly make "enlarging" a separate thing from the actual casting.