Thread: Mars 1917
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #38
Lancewholelot

Default Re: Mars 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
My thought was that the Martians once had a teleport network that is now just one of the many relics. Unknown to even its inventors, the "weapon" is actually a teleporter, but it didn't have the range to reach any other teleporters during the tests and just blew stuff up instead. By the time of the first combat trial, Mars and Earth had moved just close enough to make a connection (I believe Mars was at opposition early in 1916 and 1918). Unless they want to stay a couple of years, they only have until the Earth and Mars move away from each other again to:

a) get access to one of the teleporters that has the power to reach Earth
b) figure out how to connect to the Earth teleporter
c) come up with an explanation for the sudden appearance of Australians at a German secret weapon site
You might be interested in the Grim Tales adventure source book, Slavelords of Cydonia. It involves teleporting the PC's from Earth to Mars via a relic teleport network that requires an exotic fuel. The campaign is very bare on adventure details, relying on experienced GM's to flesh it out, but it gives three campaign hooks each for the archaic, modern, and post-apocalyptic eras of earth. Also, it features mindflayer/headcrabs among its lurking menaces to both worlds!

That book, along with a wealth of others, has set me to spending a lot of late hours dreaming up my own sword and planet campaign. Set around 1875, it will send a mix of Brits and Americans on a expedition up the Amazon and into the interior of Peru in search of some missing company men (Heart of Darkness style). No social nor wealth advantages/disadvantages allowed! They will mean little, as this trip into the wilds goes deep.

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 07-02-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote