View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: [Banestorm] Why is the Cardien Council of Lords full of barons and vicounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Current England has 25-ish functional dukes (ignoring titles controlled by the crown), so that's a 16 to 1 ratio of barons to dukes, so if you put 4 vassals in each layer, and use two layers, things turn out about right.
So for Cardiel you might have:
  1. 1 Status 6 ruler (The Prince of Cardiel).
  2. A couple of other Status 6 nobles (roughly equivalent to a Megalan duke), almost certainly on the Council of Lords. I guess the Count of Aliar and Duke of Hadaton (although he's currently the prince) are the most likely to be at this level.
  3. About a dozen Status 5 nobles (equivalent to a Count, Earl, or Marquis in Megalos) some of them on the Council of Lords, many of them with titles which would only be Status 4 in Megalos (viscount, baron).
  4. Fifty or so noble families headed by a Status 4 individual, mostly with the titles viscount or baron.
  5. Roughly two hundred noble families headed by Status 3 individuals who may be lesser barons, knights, or simply very respectable gentry.
  6. Something in the region of 800 Status 2 respectable gentry, lesser knights, and possibly baronets.
  7. About three thousand Status 1 squires, gentry, and other petty nobles (generic 'lords', dons).
  8. Roughly 2,000 commoners per noble.
Presumably there is also a church hierarchy which probably goes up to about Status 4 for the three archbishops, down to Status 1 (or maybe 0) for priests, with Status 2-3 bishops between them (and monks, nuns, abbots, etc. forming a parallel hierarchy up to Status 2 or so). I guess that each level of status in the church has more subordinates than the nobility, since there would need to be many thousands of priests to minister to the millions of Christians. I expect that actual status of a cleric will depend both on their rank in the church and their family's position in the feudal hierarchy.
Commoners seem to be able to get up to Status 2 as government officials (mayors) or in guilds (guildmaster). I guess a mayor typically governs a town (thousands of people) or city (up to half a million in the case of Tredoy) which seems to be imply more subjects than an equivalent-status noble (which makes sense, since a commoner would probably get less respect than a noble even if their actual power and wealth were the same).