View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #138
jason taylor

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
It turns out that a number of emperors were promoters of Taoist literature, rituals, science/magic, and so on. Elites read religious texts along with other important writings.
Note that some Taoist texts eventually become classics that prospective officals are required to study, as part of the civil service exams.

There were also periods of control/supression of some forms of Taoism.

I think it's important to remember that the Chinese folk religion is a fusion of ancient indigenous belief systems, Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism. This mix developed over a long period of time, of course.

I would caution against confusing syncretism and pluralism with irreligion.

This is hardly a scholary source, but since I know you use wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...E2.80.93907.29
I wouldn't necessarily confuse syncretism and pluralism with irreligion. Sometimes I would be tempted to think it an indication that the rulers consider religion just a plaything or a fashion but that is neither here nor there. In any case Far Eastern religions tend to be not incompatible of one another in the way more Middle Eastern ones are. Therefore Syncretism is a natural result in the East whereas in the West it is at best a desire to avoid strife and at worst a sign of indifference and in between a sign that people really care about other things then religion.

I do think the Imperium would have an Imperialistic "we don't care as long as you pay taxes" combined with an occasional "it is our custom to hang people who burn widows" in unusual situations. The Imperium would probably overestimate how easy it is to pull such a philosophy off and underestimate the power of religion or any other cause which demands enthusiasm.