View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #112
whswhs

Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Well, swordfighting with long sticks is something I can get behind.
Infinity is not, especially not math infinity since that's fake anyway.
d∞ is probably just a d3 anyway, either you win or you lose or you draw.
It's infinite so you either go below, above or the same.
Why would the order matter unless this is some weird not really infinity thing?
Well, that I understand. The first roll must come up as some positive integer. For any positive integer, there are finitely many positive integers that are less than or equal to it; but there are infinitely many positive integers that are greater. So the probability of the second roll landing on a greater number is vastly higher than the probability of its landing on a number that is not greater; you can treat them as effectively 1 and 0.

As for "fake," in both mathematics and RPGs, we start out by making assumptions, which we agree to pretend are true. Within the context of the game, calling them "fake" is not a valid move; to do so is to refuse to play the game. In this case, the game is exploring the concept of a die in the shape of a regular polyhedron with infinitely many sides.

One of my players likes to tell the story of a campaign he was in, where the GM said to the players that their characters had walked into a room whose floor was tiled in octahedra. One of the players said, "It's not possible to tile a surface in octahedra." And the GM said, "That's right. Roll for SAN loss."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote