View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #34
RedMattis

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
I'm confused -- this problem would definitely apply to *any* game system, no? If your GM makes you roll for mundane actions all the time, it will be both tedious and ridiculous regardless of the system. At best (when modifiers take your skill to 18+) it will be somewhat realistic but still completely tedious.
Unless played for laughs. When I was a teenager we had one GM who had a few one shots called roughly translated "Everyday Unlimited 3D6" using an old Swedish RPG called EON/NeoTech. Regular activities were considered 'standard difficulty' with bad criticals.

Aside from the regular skills like Bicycle he let player characters learn amazing skills like "Eating", "Dressing yourself", "Homework". Iirc. 80% of the player characters died before their first school day was over. One character bled out catastrophically failing to dress themselves in the morning, another dropped dead from food poisoning after drinking milk past its expiration date.

It was actually a lot of fun. We had some player characters either taking crazy risks (like trying to slice bread!) or doing everything they could to avoid risks like eating dry cereal sitting on the floor in a corner of the room.

Quote:
You would typically use your horse-riding skill while chasing or being chased by other riders, to see if you can go faster, or if you can navigate obstacles better than them (going through a forest, jumping over rocks and fallen logs, etc). You would use the skill if you have a time limit to get from point A to point B. You would use the skill if a big monster shows up and may spook your mount, and you need to calm it down. You would use the skill to approach and mount a legendary unicorn you found in the fairies' grove. You would use the horse riding skill combined with some weapon skill during a knight's tournament. You would use the horse riding skill to march proudly in front of the Queen and look all fancy and majestic. That sort of thing.
Well put. I get the feeling his GM just likes playing out everyday events with dice rolls though.

For the dozens-of-skills problem spoken about in the thread I generally let people invest in skills after the fact if it makes sense that the character would know that skill. ("Oh crap, I forgot to give my Knight the Soldier and Leadership skills!")