View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #31
Tomsdad

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaman14 View Post
Thank you everyone for such detailed responses. I am a trying to learn this game by reading the rules and I must admit it is really a daunting task. I suppose trying to learn any RPG by reading the rules is daunting though.

To be honest I am disappointed in GURPS so far. I am sitting here wondering why anyone would actually use a horse for anything other than mundane day to day activity so buying and documenting the skill is a waste. I see that the modifier is anywhere from -5 to +5 or more depending upon the GM interpretation of about any number of variables (and a few of the variables one should always apply are located in three different locations of the rules and one must know the DX of the horse and the training of the animal...I am frustrated). I can resolve this whole thing with original D&D as a DM just saying roll percentile and in this situation you have a 20% chance to fail. I bet it is nearly the same thing.

I really want to like GURPS but I feel that I would gut about 80% of the rules as ultimately pointless. Perhaps I should dig out my original 1986 version of GURPS and look through that.
The irony is I'm willing to bet there are all sorts of great games out there using GURPS that only uses 20% of the rules by volume!

The problem is GURPS more than most RPGS is a took kit. As such it kind of strives to cover all possible bases. And well that's pretty damn intimidating to come up against as a buy in!

I personally bounced of GURPS for years, until somehow 4rd edition clicked for me.

And even though I've been GMing GURPS for over 10 years now. I still don't have a clue on over half the advantages, disadvantages, skills and magic system. (let alone alternative magic systems, super power options and whatever else) but I don't need to to do what I want.

Or put it this way, I know what I need to know. However that's not much help in abstract because well I had to learn that to know it, and it will likely be different for everyone and every game.

You are also in a different situation from me I'm (always) the GM so I chose what goes into my games, you seem to be a player in the game you are in right now.

So what is you would like GURPS for?

EDIT: ah just read you next post (and Kromms) yep I'd suggest the DF sub forum, you will get more focused advice and help

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-27-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote