View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Arm Lock with and without Technical Grappling rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
I probably should have been more clear, but I'm talking about standing grappling, and using locks to force a standing opponent to turn his kicking leg into his load bearing leg. You can't kick with a leg that is bearing more than 50% of your body weight. Again, that may be below the resolution of GURPS rules, but is a key component to not getting kicked while in a standing grapple. I've learned this the hard way as a handful of the people I train with have TKD backgrounds and will kick the living **** out of you instinctively, even when you have them in a standing joint lock, if you don't force their body weight over whichever leg it makes the most sense for them to kick you with.
That's still application of weight advantage in the TG terms; I don't believe it's precluded because of standing.

Quote:
They are, but TG makes it pretty explicit that you can't use Hands Free parries against strikes...only against grapple attacks.
As far as I know, we specified grappling attacks because so does the box on p. 122 of Martial Arts, with the emphasis in the original:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Arts, p. 122: What is...a Parry?
"Not all parries involve limbs, either. If you parry a
grappling technique (e.g., Judo Throw or Piledriver)
using Boxing, Brawling, Judo, Karate, Sumo
Wrestling, or Wrestling, you can opt to “counter” –
twist or sprawl so that your adversary’s technique
fails – rather than slap away your enemy’s hands.
This doesn’t require a free hand. It resembles a
dodge, but it’s a parry in game terms."
So it's grappling in TG because it's grappling in MA (this was a cursory search, though - I have to run and get my kids to school).

Quote:
Again, in my experience, at least when a joint lock is involved, you can totally use the locked limb to short-circuit striking attempts by your foe. It hasn't come up in the games I run, but if it did, I would allow a hands-free Judo/Wrestling/Sumo parry if you have a foe in a joint lock. If it's just a simple grapple, that might be a harder sell, though.
For me, this is best represented by *spending control points* to interfere with a foe's attack. That's always allowed, IIRC. We use pain compliance from a joint lock to keep foes off balance so they can't kick or punch as well, usually by walking them around.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote