View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 01:34 PM   #24
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Astral Projection

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yes, you could hobble Astral Projection by making the plane more dangerous, but seems to me that this would make all of the spell's usages onerous, and not just prevent the most disruptive uses.

It is also my humble opinion that if you throw a really dangerous Astral denizen or two after the Astral tourist, just to keep the spell from being too good, your players might feel you're being arbitrary and vindictive and that you should've just told them that it's useless in your games.

So, I'm not opposed to an occasional encounter in the Astral Plane, but I don't think that's the way to go in order to prevent the spell from being game-spoiling in certain uses.
I concur. As a GM, I wouldn't go out of my way to make the Astral Plane dangerous every time that it's used. But, the body of the character that is in the astral plane is truly vulnerable. That alone makes it dangerous. Everything has advantages and disavantages. Few things allow use with impunity.

So, as I said, I would choose your first option and let fate (or encounter die rolls) do its thing.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote