View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #21
phiwum

Default Re: Astral Projection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
The thing about Astral Projection that is limiting above all else is that the PC's body is at it's most vulnerable. Unless the character has body guards standing by, anyone can walk up and kill them. While in the Astral plane, the PC has none of its physical advantages such as magic items, armor, weapons, etc. He has his staff and some of his spells. His astral body is very vulnerable too. So, with this fact established, unless someone can convince me otherwise, I would say that you option 1 above is fine. A GM can find ways to limit use by increasing the risk a character that is in the astral plane.
Yes, you could hobble Astral Projection by making the plane more dangerous, but seems to me that this would make all of the spell's usages onerous, and not just prevent the most disruptive uses.

It is also my humble opinion that if you throw a really dangerous Astral denizen or two after the Astral tourist, just to keep the spell from being too good, your players might feel you're being arbitrary and vindictive and that you should've just told them that it's useless in your games.

So, I'm not opposed to an occasional encounter in the Astral Plane, but I don't think that's the way to go in order to prevent the spell from being game-spoiling in certain uses.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote