View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 04:34 AM   #147
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Inky raised a point about "which way are we going" regards to issues discovered in GURPS MAGIC. Where I myself make a mistake, or where someone who created the GURPS MAGIC FLOW CHART makes a mistake, the main book is the deciding source. Where GURPS MAGIC does something significantly different than its original sources such as GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition or GURPS GRIMOIRE - those sources, if not a system adjustment (such as modifying how much a spell costs in energy, or the prerequisite chain or how the spell functions). In one specific instance, Lightning Armor in GURPS MAGIC for 4e, lacks the Magery Requirement that Electric Armor had in GURPS GRIMOIRE (something I consider an Ooopsie). But - you as a GM, a free to make the rulings you want.

This isn't so much MY game world so much as it is an exercise you're invited to participate in with a little help on my part.

As time goes on, I'll share with you some of my biases (aka books) that I tend to use when building a game world simulating Medieval history. HARN WORLD has a lot of useful resources that I find useful. MIDKEMIA PRESS's CITIES (still something you can purchase online as a PDF) is to me, invaluable where it comes to detailing a small town or a city (small or large) along with a really NEAT series of encounter tables for the city. If you've read Raymond Feist's RIFTWAR SERIES - you will immediately recognize the name Midkemia, and know that Raymond was a GAMER and go from there (Much as the GAME OF THRONES author was a gamer).

Books useful to a GM, concepts useful to a GM, game supplements useful to a GM who wants to customize their game universe (Such as the supplement THE COMPLEATE ALCHEMIST or THE ARCANUM 30th Anniversary Edition) for the alchemical rules may be worth your while. I use the HARN WORLD economics system in lieu of GURPS rules almost exclusively (with a little Chivalry and Sorcery tossed in for good measure).

The only thing worse than having your daughter proudly tell you "Hey Dad, I aced my Medieval section of classes - and I didn't even crack open the book" is asking "how did that happen and hearing her respond "I eavesdropped on the gaming sessions when I was a kid". A certain pride comes to the fore that she picked that up from my games, and a certain TERROR comes when you realize a young pre-teenager was also listening to the adult content of the gaming table where the adults were unaware of innocent ears hearing...

Well, on that note. Feel free to send private emails for clarifications, or ask them here, but don't be shy about proposing your own solutions.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote