View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #144
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I'm not wedded to the idea of using Int(2d6/2)+7 for generating attributes between 8 and 13...
Its fine. I have my own system I've used for years, but its bespoke, has a different table for each attribute, and is aimed at 10.5 as the average for DX and IQ (because of how I see GM's stat NPC's). 7+2d6/2 is a little more swingy than I'd like, but I don't think we should mess with it as this stage, and dealing with extremes might be a good test.

I like Garrit. IQ 8 doesn't make you an idiot, it makes you unperceptive, easy to convince of things, and bad at most new tasks. If he can find a single useful spell he can use to improve lives every day, people will love him.

Thanks for the acreage numbers!

Quote:
In effect, roughly 32% of all arable land formed the Lord's Demesne, 40% were held by villeins, and 28% by freeholders. Out of 13,500 holdings in 1279, 46 percent amounted to 10 acres or less, probably near the minimum for subsistence.
Ok, so target demesne acreage is 32%... we can call that 1/3rd. About what sir Zeedrick has. As far as subsistence went, I always assumed the cottars were living off of the Lord's land, and enriching him in the process. As best they could.

Quote:
Yeoman are to be taken from the Free Farmer results, but there were no real rules for HOW.
In the original. Harn Manor gives a set number per fief. based on acreage and country. (page 12). Setting it as a set percentage of farmers is fine: I take it you leave their acreage unchanged? The new book sets the acreage for each unit class of yeoman. I wonder what happens when junior takes a likeing to one of those fancy new bows.

Quote:
I'm not overly fond of the household generation rules in Harn Manor myself.... Ghost of an idea? Generate each family with the primary woman there.... Some offer their holding to their eldest in exchange for a retirement benefit in the form of a given amount of food, a roof over their heads and clothing. But that's from what I've read in history books, not HARN MANOR.
That's a fine way to do it. Household is a household, and generate familes rather than numbers.

For me the eldest taking the holding in exchange for taking care of their parents is a no-brainer to me, but I grew up near farmers. They care about THEIR land, they're emotionally attached to it, and keeping grandpa off the tractor can be difficult. So I figured, yeah, the "heir" gets the land and takes care of the parents until they die.

Quote:
.90 - Sorry.
Thanks

Quote:
... So - bear in mind, my app is more than just Harn Manor - it has been tinkered with to bring it in line with historical values.
Thus my questions when it deviates!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote