View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management: New Economy Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Participatory
In a participatory economy, the people vote on what goods are made or what services are produced, and how both are made available to the population. Citizens are thus almost always happy, but the system might be unable to react quickly and effectively to changing circumstances or emergencies. On top of that, leaving decisions in the hands of uninformed and possibly short-sighted citizens may have its drawbacks; windfalls tend to be distributed out as consumer goods, which makes the populace even happier but doesn’t set reserves aside.
Examples: Modern-day Greenland communities; Tito’s Yugoslavia.
Benefits: Increase starting Citizen Loyalty by one step. Start with one additional Workforce point.
Drawbacks: No positive modifiers to the Management Skill are available. Any Windfalls that grant RPs or additional Revenue are turned into the Reform Windfall instead. In case of any Disruption not having external causes, roll against Management Skill; a critical failure results in the Realm being affected by the Demagogue Disruption as well.
Neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The efficiency falls off as you go to larger scale. On one hand, the number of decisions to be made increases at least as fast as the number of people (perhaps as fast as the square of the number of people?); on the other, the rate at which decisions are made at best does not increase, and may decrease. And the informal channels that compensate for the slow formal procedure only work in quite small groups.

I'm not sure if your Benefits and Drawbacks reflect this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
GURPS Realm Management, as a rule, seems to gloss over questions of what works at differing scales- Autocracy/Dictatorship is depicted as permitting an efficiently run realm of any size, despite history strongly suggesting that it becomes ever more unworkable for larger and more complex societies; Athenian Democracy is assigned an arbitrary cutoff of 75,000 citizens (before TL9) rather than providing detailed rules for how it becomes increasingly unwieldy with a larger populace.
I could have included notes on some governments where it was impossible for certain populations to have, but I felt that was constraining the creator and I'm usually firmly against that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote