View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #75
Emerikol

Default Re: Skill Advancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
The thing with GURPS is that you need to tweak it to meet your needs. I talk "skill caps" which works for me as I don't have to worry about impacts of changing the character point costs on other things, but it's definitely not the only option. And even with skill caps you can have flexibility. You can have a skill cap of say 15 (or attribute +5, or whatever) for starting characters, raise it to 20 at mid campaign, and then raise it again to 25 near the end. Pick and choose the levels that work for you. That flexible approach lets PC get better for the end bosses without achieving an unbalance at the beginning against the weaker foes. Viewed from the lense I gave in setting campaign parameters in another post in this thread, instead of saying your campaign is realistic or heroic or cinematic, it's "we will start out realistic, and gradually improve to heroic then cinematic at a controlled rate." Just make sure you let your players know you will be doing this so that they can plan for it.
I am very much getting that you need to tweak it to your needs. You could of course have a "level" cap on your skills just like you said. I definitely like the idea of a cap being attribute + X so that those with good attributes are not in essence penalized. It's also more realistic as those with natural talent will end up the best everything else being equal. I'm not playing in the NBA no matter how bad I want to.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote