View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #1
scc

Default [Magic] Brewing Potions

OK, one of the problems I've got with Magic is that for potions it only offers Alchemy, which turns Alchemy into canned Magic and not it's own thing, and with this spell I hope I've fixed that:

Brew Potion Very Hard
Brew a magical potion that contains a spell from another college that can effect only a single living target. While healing or enhancement most commonly used, baneful effects such as Beast-Rouser are not unheard of, if uncommon because their usefulness is limited. Mind Control spells can actually be brewed, but the targets behavior will be set up at the time of viewing or they will become suspectable to those around them, not the brewer. Factors such as increased duration or higher level are made when the potion is brewed and can't be changed later. All skill rolls are made when the potion is brewed and if needed later, such as for spells that have resistance, recorded. As the energy for a potion is contained in the potion they work in areas that are mana barren but magic still works, so one would work in the Great Desert of Yrth, but not on Homeline.

Base Cost: Thrice the cost to cast the spell normally once all modifiers are accounted for, such as duration and high skill.
Time to Cast: one hour per 10 energy expended. Must the brewed as a single, uninterrupted task, no sleeping.
Prerequisites: Crate Water, one Food spell, and three different spells from different colleges. The GM may set further limitations, such as a minimum level in Alchemy or rare, exotic, or simply expensive ingredients, for any or all potions.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote