View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Kirk

Default Re: What was your favorite death test room?

I also liked both for their challenge, clever rooms, and deadliness. Someone posted in another thread about how to make long dungeon crawls in TFT less deadly or more possible, etc. and I cringed a bit. I don't want to play D&D with healing spells and forever characters protected from themselves. I want poor decisions and fighting to end badly for the PCs or the game loses its tension and my interest in it. I don't want my ego stroked by the rules or the GM.

Two rooms that come up immediately are the Gargoyle Statue room, and the choice to cut your losses with a "so sad, too bad" exit from the poor chump who gets jumped by a Gargoyle and the room with Cruel, the battleaxe wielding NPC standing amongst bodies twirling his axe in the air, challenging any member of the Party to a duel.

Another room in Orb Quest became a quote for everyone, though usually slightly misstated, "The Octopus of Cidri is a dangerous and deadly foe, indeed."

It is these type of memorable writings and encounters that I look forward to playing again before age overtakes me and I enter the world of Cidri permanently. ;) I hope Steve is up to the challenge, as well...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote