View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
theshadow99

Default Re: Real World Tactical Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post
The Tactical Shooting playtest has gotten me thinking about gunfighters. I'd like to hear who people would include on a list of the toughest gunfighters of the twentieth and twenty-first century. I'm looking for people who actually fought in and survived multiple gunfights- people like Delf "Jelly" Bryce, Frank Hamer, Carlos Hathcock, Audie Murphy, or Bob Howard.

I'd also love to hear what people think made these people exceptional in a fight. This being the GURPS forum, reference in GURPS terms where possible.
Carlos Hathcock a former United States Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant sniper who in 1967 set a record for longest-range confirmed sniper kill in history that lasted until 2002. And with a M2 Browning Machine Gun equipped with a Unertl scope. The distance was 2,286 meters (2,500 yards) or 1.42 miles (2.29 km).

I'd say if I was in a fire fight I definitely wouldn't mind having him on my side (though from his younger days, he's not so spry now.)

Btw the end of his military was in style to:
"Hathcock's career as a sniper came to a sudden end outside Khe Sanh in 1969, when an amtrack he was riding on struck an anti-tank mine.[5] Hathcock pulled seven Marines off the flame-engulfed vehicle before jumping to safety. He was told he would be recommended for the Silver Star, but he stated that he had only done what anyone there would had done if they were awake, so he rejected any commendation for his bravery. Nearly 30 years later, he was awarded the Silver Star, the third most prestigious award in U.S. military."
theshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote